Resources and Links
Please click the links below to learn more about currrent legislation, CRA efforts, additional chapters and more.
Facts About The Restaurant Industry
1. RESTAURANTS LEAD COLORADO’S ECONOMY IN 2015
- Total restaurant sales in Colorado are expected to exceed $10 billion.
- Colorado restaurants will generate approximately $695 million in state and local sales taxes.
- Colorado foodservice industry will employ approximately 264,200 workers.
- Colorado restaurants account for 40% of all retail workers.
- There are approximately 10,878 eating and drinking locations in Colorado.
- More than 75% of Colorado’s restaurants are independently owned and operated.
2. SMALL BUSINESS WITH A LARGE IMPACT
- ½ of all adults have worked in the foodservice industry at some time.
- 1 out of 3 adults found their first job in the restaurant industry.
- 45% of all adults are restaurant patrons on a typical day.
- 23% of table-service restaurant sales come from travelers and tourists.
- Restaurants employ more minority managers and have more women in management and ownership positions than any other industry.
3. THE UNITED STATES RESTAURANT INDUSTRY IN 2015
- Total U.S. foodservice industry sales will reach approximately $700 billion, 4% of GDP.
- U.S. consumers will spend approximately $1.9 billion per day on food away from home.
- The restaurant industry is the nation’s second-largest private sector employer with 14 million people employed in 1 million locations.
4. COLORADO DEMOGRAPHICS
- Disposable income is expected to advance 3.5% in Colorado, compared to 2.8% nationally.
- Population in Colorado will grow 1.3% compared to 0.8% nationally
- Total employment in Colorado is projected to increase 2.6%, compared to 1.8% nationally.
5. ISSUES AFFECTING COLORADO RESTAURANTS
- Liquor regulations
- Food code
- Labor Law
- Wage & Hour
- Small Business Issues